Wednesday 23 July 2008

Holidays in the English Lake District.


Visited Morecambe and had my pic taken with Eric Morecambe, half of the comedy duo, Morecambe and Wise.






Not a particularly big fish but a welcome one. It weighed about 11lb or so and fell to a wobbled brown trout bait. This one caused me a bit of pain because when I picked it up the treble became embedded in my finger, followed by the fish struggling. This is the second time in fifteen years of pike fishing that this has happened to me. We all need a wee reminder now and again that hooks hurt fish. When I returned this fish to the water its jacket or slime coat came off. This happens when the water is low in oxygen or too warm. Fishing cancelled for the rest of the holiday.
Weather was mainly cold, wet and windy so spent most of the week reading and sight seeing in the rain





.


Seeing this well looked after old VW dormobile reminded me of the one Sandra and I had when the kids were small. Ours was a red and white one of the same model as this one. It had a double bed and two hammocks up in the roof. We went away wild camping every weekend with it. Money was tight for a young couple so we never used campsites, mainly layby's and forest areas.


Great fun.....






It rained quite a bit back home also, and the garden resembles a jungle.

My first capsicum, first of many I hope.

Lots of tomatoes now, and I've had to freeze a few cabbages, broccoli and cauliflowers.
We have squillions of carrots, Swedes, peas, Florence Fennel, Kohl Rabi and enough onions and garlic for a good few months. The shallots are hanging up to dry in the potting shed.
All for now....

No comments: